Friday, March 12, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

I confess I read the 2 Wonderland books ages ago, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, but I was always fascinated with the world and imagery created by Lewis Carroll, not to mention intrigued by the man himself. My moniker obviously reflects part of that.

I had high hopes (perhaps I should know better by now) for Tim Burton's take on the classic tale, but I confess the greatest pleasure I had watching the film came from Helena Bonham Carter's Red Queen. Her role was rather circumscribed, but I think she was fabulous. As for Johnny Depp, is it just me or is anyone else also not able to understand 3/4 of what he mumbles in his films these days? In addition, I was very distracted by the fact that very often Mia Wasikowska as Alice looked like a younger clone of Gwyneth Paltrow. Other times, particularly toward the end, she looked like my young cousin as well as a childhood friend.

I'm well aware that these comments don't really have anything with the merits of the movie itself... on the other hand, maybe that says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment